Saturday, July 17, 2010

One Week Left

I guess I owe this chronicle an update because I finish what I start, damn it! Really, I do. As evidence, I submit to you the simple fact that, with just one week to go in my little experiment, I am still a vegan. That means I have lived over three weeks without ingesting an animal product. The good news? I am shocked at how quickly these weeks have flown by.


I USUALLY PUT AWAY ABOUT FOUR OF THESE EVERY WEEK.

The bad news? I really miss meat. Sure, TVP is delicious when it’s prepped and seasoned and finagled, but meat cannot be replaced. If I was committed to making veganism a lifelong choice, I do think I would eventually get over the need to “replace” meat dishes, but since this is only a short commitment and I have no desire to continue it at full speed once I reach my goal, all of this intellectual conjecture adds up to a hill of beans. Probably the same hill of beans I still refuse to eat. Beans are fucking weird.

In the meantime, I wish I had more to report in the way of a valiant struggle. Some kind of arm wrestling match with arugula or a throwdown with okra. I guess turning vegan made me a pacifist toward animals and vegetables alike. I have yet to purposefully cheat in any way, although I am willing to bet something animal-generated has slipped through. I cannot claim with certainty that I do not swallow spiders when I sleep. Also, I kill cockroaches without thinking twice.


TELL ME THIS DESERVES TO LIVE. YOU'RE WRONG.


I did stumble across a lovely thing called EVOS. If you don’t know what EVOS is, you owe it to yourself to check it out. It’s a slick little restaurant that serves “healthy” fast food. There are several vegan-friendly options in addition to a pretty great standard menu. Their air-baked french-fries are phenomenal, although they seemed to cool off rather quickly. Perhaps all of my panting at the sight of my tray ventilated them too much. Also, EVOS has four different and equally delicious flavors of ketchup because why the hell not.

Unfortunately, not much else has happened on the “trying new things” front, at least in terms of food. What I do in the privacy of public restrooms is my business. Being a poor college student has its drawbacks, believe it or not. How can I worry about maintaining a vegan lifestyle if I already work around the clock?


BECAUSE I'M NOT DONE WITH THIS MEME YET.

No comments:

Post a Comment